Fem Dophilus Probiotics by Jarrow Formulas Review
Fem Dophilus Probiotics by Jarrow Formulas Review
Taking probiotics supplements will help you maintain healthy levels of friendly bacteria in your body and boost your defenses against vaginal yeast infections. Friendly bacteria, such as different strains of Lactobacillus, can colonize your vagina leaving no space for Candida to grow and they produce lactic acid creating unfavorable conditions for Candida to thrive.
If you’re taking antibiotics, drinking alcohol or a lot of coffee, you can cause the probiotics to die off, which will make it easier for Candida to multiply and cause a vaginal yeast infection.
That’s why it’s very important to take probiotic supplements of regular basis as a preventative measure to avoid a yeast infection or during your antifungal treatment to help your body recover faster and avoid recurrence. In this review I’ll take a close look at Fem Dophilus Probiotics by Jarrow Formulas and compare it with scientific research about probiotics and vaginal health.
Product Name: Fem Dophilus Probiotics by Jarrow Formulas 60 Capsules
Where to buy: Amazon
Probiotic Strains: 5 billion CFU (colony forming units): Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Other Ingredients: Dextrose anhydrate, Potato starch, Cellulose, Magnesium stearate, Gelatin, Titanium dioxide
Directions: Take 1 capsule a day for maintenance or 2 capsules a day if necessary. Studies show that probiotic supplements should be taken with dairy products, such as milk or cheese, because it makes them more effective. You can also put some probiotic powder from a capsule in your yogurt. If you’re taking Fem Dophilus Probiotics while on antibiotics, take the capsule at least 2 hours after taking your medication.
Best Probiotic Supplements for Women
Garden of Life RAW Probiotics Women
Renew Life Ultimate Flora Women’s Complete
Primadophilus Optima Women’s
|How Many Probiotic Strains?|
- I like the fact that the efficiency of Fem Dophilus is supported with clinical studies. In one of the clinical trials 75% of women treated with L. rhamnosus and L. reuteri probiotic experienced significant improvement in vaginal flora composition, compared to 34% of women who took placebo. Studies show that both L. rhamnosus and L. reuteri have got the ability to colonize the vagina when taken orally, so although the number of strains in Fem Dophilus is very low, they have been carefully chosen and their efficacy is supported by numerous studies.
- Fem Dophilus is manufactured in a way that protects the probiotics from stomach acid and allows to deliver more good bacteria deep inside your intestinal tract to make sure that the highest possible number of probiotics can colonize your vagina and protect it from infections.
- Fem Dophilus probiotic supplement is gluten-free, it’s got no wheat, no gluten, no soybeans, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no peanuts/tree nuts.
- The probiotics are viable through shelf life if kept refrigerated, which means that the manufacturer guarantees that 5 billion CFU will be active and alive when you ingest them.
- It’s got 88% of 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon.
- It’s got only 2 probiotic strains. Studies show that probiotic supplements should contain multiple probiotic strains in order to be effective. It’s because women have got different strains of friendly vaginal bacteria depending on where they live, as well as their genes. So the more probiotic strains, the more likely it is that your vagina will get colonized by the bacteria you need. There is a probiotic supplement made especially to suit the vaginal flora of Polish women!
- Each capsule contains only 5 billion CFU (colony forming units). It seems that the higher the CFU count the more effective the probiotic supplement because many probiotic units can die during transport and while passing through your stomach, plus a higher CFU count ensures a successful colonization, which is especially important when you’re fighting a vaginal yeast infection. Check Raw Probiotics Women on the right, they’ve got an impressive 85 billion count!
- Fem Dophilus Probiotics are not regulated by Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
I would recommend Fem Dophilus if you’re using it as a preventative measure against vaginal and urinary tract infections. It’s well researched, the probiotics are guaranteed to be alive till the best before date and women who’ve tried it are generally happy with the results.
However, if you’re trying to treat a vaginal yeast infection or fighting with recurrent yeast infections, I would go for a probiotics supplement with multiple probiotic strains and a much higher CFU count than 5 billion found in Fem Dophilus. If you want to try a more potent probiotic supplement check my reviews of Raw Probiotics Women and Ultimate Flora Women’s.
I’m interested to hear about your experiences with Fem Dophilus by Jarrow Formulas. Please share your comments and questions in the comment section below.