Where to Buy Probiotic Suppositories?
Where to Buy Probiotic Suppositories?
If you suffer from vaginal yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis, probiotic suppositories, such as Ecovag (also known as Medigyne), will help you treat and prevent both. By inserting live probiotic cultures into your vagina, you enable them to quickly colonize your vaginal walls leaving no space for harmful yeast and bacteria to grow and cause infections.
What’s more, probiotics produce lactic acid which helps maintain a healthy pH in your vagina, creating unfavorable conditions for yeast and bacteria to thrive.
Probiotic suppositories usually contain one or two probiotic strains commonly found in the vagina, such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus reuteri or Lactobacillus plantarum. Different probiotic strains provide various benefits to our health, so it’s important that the suppositories you use contain the strains that are scientifically proven to improve your vaginal health.
Have a look at my picks:
Medigyne Probiotic Suppositories
I like the fact that the efficacy Medigyne is scientifically documented. Scientists found that they relieve vaginal symptoms within 8 days in 80% of women.
What’s more, the probiotic strains used in Medigyne, called Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus gasseri have been shown to prevent chronic vaginal infection for up to six months in 65% of patients who took three ten-day courses of treatment. Pretty impressive!
Ingredients: Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactitol, anhydrous glucose, lactitol monohydrate, corn starch, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate.
Canesflor Probiotic Capsules
Canesflor suppositories contain Lactobacillus plantarum. A 2016 study found that this probiotic strain used vaginally straight after an antifungal treatment leads to a threefold reduction in developing a recurrent vaginal yeast infection in future.
Other studies found that Lactobalicculs plantarum can increase fertility in animals (no studies were done on humans yet) and it’s also effective against some STDs, such as Chlamydia.
Ingredients: Lactobacillus plantarum, maize starch, mannitol, carboxymethylcellulose sodium cross-linked, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica dioxide, gelatin, titanium dioxide.
Are there any Other Benefits of Using Probiotic Suppositories?
Apart from helping you cure and prevent vaginal yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis, probiotic suppositories can help you avoid:
- Recurrent UTI (urinary tract infection)
- Premature birth
- Increase your chances of conceiving
- Cut the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydia
How to Use Probiotic Suppositories to Treat and Prevent Vaginal Yeast Infections and Bacterial Vaginosis?
For best results, you should insert the suppository just before going to bed to make sure it stays in place for at least 8 hours and avoid it leaking out. Additionally, follow the following tips to make the most of your probiotic suppositories:
- When you’re using antifungal suppositories to treat a yeast infection, you can insert a probiotic suppository at the same time to enhance the effect of your medication.
- After you finish your antifungal treatment, use probiotic suppositories for at least a week after you finish your treatment to help avoid a recurrent infection.
- Insert a probiotic suppository after swimming in a swimming pool. The chemicals used to sanitize water can kill the friendly bacteria in your vagina and change its pH, making you more vulnerable to infection. By delivering probiotics to your vagina you’ll boost its natural defenses.
- After you drink a lot of alcohol, it’s a good idea to use a probiotic suppository. Alcohol can destroy friendly bacteria in your body, your vagina included. To make sure you don’t get an alcohol-induced infection, replenish the levels of probiotics in your vagina as soon as possible.
- When you’re taking antibiotics, use probiotic suppositories during and after your treatment to prevent a vaginal yeast infection. Antibiotics, apart from killing harmful bacteria, can also kill friendly bacteria, creating perfect conditions for yeast to thrive.
- When you’re under a lot of stress for a prolonged period of time, taking probiotic suppositories can help you avoid yeast infections triggered by heightened levels of cortisol. If you’ve got high cortisol levels in your blood for a prolonged period of time, your immunity will be compromised making you more prone to infections.
Probiotic suppositories can be of great help to women who suffer from recurrent yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. However, probiotic suppositories usually come with 10 suppositories in a box, so they’re not meant to be used as your day to day probiotics. To make the most of probiotics, it’s also beneficial to take probiotic supplements and incorporate probiotic-rich foods into your diet.
There are probiotic supplements designed especially for women. They contain probiotic strains, such as Lactobacillus reuteri, that can reach your vagina through your intestines, helping you improve your vaginal health every day.
I’d love to hear about your experiences with probiotic suppositories. What’s your favorite brand? Did they help you treat or prevent vaginal infections? Please share your stories and questions in the comment section below.