What are the Best Vaginal pH Balance Products?
What are the Best Vaginal pH Balance Products?
Maintaining the correct pH Balance in your vagina is the key to preventing vaginal yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis. Correct vaginal acidity levels create an unfavorable environment for fungus (such as Candida) and bacteria serving as a natural barrier and protection from infection.
Using vaginal gels that help balance your pH is very useful especially if you often get yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. In this article I’ll discuss what are the best vaginal pH balancing gels and when you should use them.
Take a look at my picks:
IsoFresh Balancing Vaginal Gel Review
IsoFresh contains 12 doses of pH balancing gel which makes it the most economical option. I like the fact that it’s the most gentle pH balancing gel available and it’s got many ingredients that promote a healthy vaginal pH, such as lactic acid, sodium lactate and sodium hydroxide.
- it’s got 12 doses which last for 3 days
- neutralizes vaginal odor
- contains no parabens, oils or glycerol
- it’s isotonic, meaning that its salt concentration is the same as that of the vagina
- Some users complain that the tubes are difficult to use
Purified water, carbomer, cetyl hydroxyethylcellulose, lactic acid, sodium lactate, sodium chloride, xylose (from raspberry), sodium hydroxide, clary sage oil, and a nature-identical preservative (phenethyl alcohol and caprylyl glycol)
RepHresh Prefilled Applicators Vaginal Gel Review
RepHresh Vaginal Gel is the most popular gel of this type on the market. It contains 4 pre-filled applicators that lasts 3 days. Apart from being a pH balancing gel, it also acts as a sexual lubricant. However, to enhance its lubricating properties, it contains glycerin and glycerin is believed to promote growth of harmful bacteria. So, although it’s got very positive reviews I would avoid this product. If you’re looking for a sexual lubricant that doesn’t contain glycerin, check my review here.
- it acts as a vaginal lubricant
- it helps you get rid of odor
- it helps you prevent vaginal infections by maintaining correct pH level
- 77% of 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon
- Some users are not happy with the new applicator, it’s not as comfortable to use as the original design
- It contains glycerin, a compound that can potentially facilitate the growth of harmful bacteria
- Some users complain that it doesn’t cure BV. However this gel is not designed to cure BV, it’s supposed to prevent it
Purified Water, Glycerin, Polycarbophil, Carbomer Homopolymer Type B, Ethylparaben Sodium, Propylparaben Sodium, Sodium Hydroxide.
Balance Activ Vaginal Gel Review
Balance Activ is designed to relieve symptoms of vaginal infection, such as odor or abnormal discharge. It helps restore vaginal pH to help you prevent a new infection or alleviate your symptoms before seeing your doctor. It comes with 7 pre-filled tubes. You can check my full review of Balance Activ gel here.
- it contains lactic acid which helps restore your vaginal pH
- it helps relieve BV symptoms, temporarily
- it’s got 75% of 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon, pretty good!
- Some women expected Balance Activ to cure their BV, but the product is designed to relieve your symptoms while you’re waiting to see your doctor
- Some complain that the product made their symptoms worse
Lactic Acid, Glycogen, Propylene Glycol, Methylhydroxypropyl Cellulose, Sodium Lactate, Water, PH 3.8
What can Disturb Your pH Balance?
There are a few key factors that can disturb your vaginal acidity levels:
- Going to the swimming pool: Most swimming pools use harsh chemicals to sanitize water. Those chemicals change water pH and they may affect your vaginal pH as well making it easier for Candida to multiply and cause an infection.
They also use chlorine that kills all the bacteria, however not all bacteria in your vagina is bad. There is also good bacteria responsible for maintaining a healthy pH by producing lactic acid. When this bacteria disappears the conditions are perfect for vaginal infections to start. You can learn more about how swimming pools can cause vaginal infections here.
- Vaginal douching: When using a vaginal douche you rinse out the bacteria that resides in your vagina. As I mentioned before, eliminating friendly bacteria that helps maintin correct pH levels can make you more prone to a yeast infection or BV.
- Antibiotic treatment: Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria. Together with infection causing bacteria, they kill friendly bacteria that resides in your gut and vagina to protect it from infections. As a result, you may suffer from diarrhea as well as vaginal infections during and after you antibiotic treatment.
- Intense sexual activity: Semen is alkaline and it can disturb your vaginal acidity making it more prone to infection.
- Hormonal imbalance due to period, menopause or taking contraceptive pills.
When to use Vaginal pH Balance Gels?
You can use vaginal pH balancing gels:
- after a sexual intercourse
- after swimming in a swimming pool
- when taking antibiotics
- after your period
- to alleviate BV symptoms
- after vaginal douching (however I strongly discourage using vaginal douches, click here to learn why)
- whenever you notice an unpleasant vaginal odor
You can use vaginal pH balancing gels for as long as you need and as often as you need. However, if you notice an abnormal discharge or an itching or burning sensation, stop using it immediately. It may be a sign of an allergic reaction, in this case try another product.
Using vaginal pH balancing gels can be very beneficial for your vaginal health. It may help you prevent yeast infections and BV and alleviate your symptoms when waiting for your doctor’s appointment. It’s also great when you want to feel fresh and reduce vaginal odor. Apart from pH balancing gels, there are other products that will help you maintain a healthy acidity in your vagina and promote vaginal health:
I’d love to hear about your experiences with vaginal pH balancing gels. Did they work? What products do you recommend? Please share your comments and questions in the comment section below.