Is Acidophilus Good for Candida?
Is Acidophilus Good for Candida?
In this article, I’ll tell you if Lactobacillus acidophilus is an effective probiotic strain against Candida. Will it help you fight yeast infections? What’s the best probiotic supplement with Lactobacillus?
Probiotics have been shown to improve digestive health, boost immunity and even inhibit the growth of potentially harmful organisms, such as Candida. each probiotic strain has got different benefits for your health, today we’ll focus on Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Is Lactobacillus acidophilus antifungal?
Let’s look at the most recent studies on antifungal qualities of L. acidophilus:
- A 2014 study showed that Lactobacillus acidophilus can damage the cellular walls of Candida albicans strain and significantly reduce its ability to adhere to tissues by inhibiting its mycelium growth.
- A 2017 study shows that toothpaste containing L. acidophilus significantly reduce the growth of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis cells in the mouth. It also showed antimicrobial activity against Streptococcus salivarius and Staphylococcus aureus.
- Another study that focused on the prevention of chronic yeast infection found that applying L. acidophilus vaginally in the form suppository significantly reduce the risk of developing a yeast infection. You can read more about using probiotic suppositories for yeast infection here.
- A 2017 study that L. acidophilus taken orally can boost acidophilus numbers in women’s urogenital tracts, which helps prevent and treat yeast infections, BV and UTI.
What are Other Health Benefits of L. acidophilus?
Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of the best-studied probiotic strains. It’s a very versatile strain that offers a variety of benefits, that’s why you can find it in most probiotic supplements on the market. Studies show that:
- It can reduce the levels of cholesterol on your blood reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- This strain can prevent and reduce the symptoms associated with cold and flu by boosting your immunity.
- It can relieve the symptoms of eczema in infants, children, and adults.
- It can prevent and relieve diarrhea and other associated symptoms.
- L. acidophilus may alleviate and prevent allergy symptoms, such as the runny nose, itchy skin and eyes, and other hay-fever-associated symptoms.
- It can reduce the symptoms related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, such as abdominal pain and bloating.
All these benefits show that L. acidophilus is an excellent probiotic strain that will support your health in many ways and help you prevent and treat not only yeast infections but also cardiovascular diseases and allergies. However, according to research, probiotic strains are more powerful and effective when they work in synergy, so if you’re looking for a probiotic supplement with L. acidophilus, make sure it contains a selection of other probiotic strains.
What’s the Best L. acidophilus Supplement?
There are thousands of probiotic supplements that contain L. acidophilus. If you need a probiotic supplement with acidophilus to fight Candida, choose a product with more probiotic strains with proven antifungal effect. Studies show that probiotics are more effective against Candida when different strains are used together.
Choosing the right probiotic supplement may be quite overwhelming given the number of these products on the market. The most important things you should look at are:
- Your probiotic supplement has to be shelf stable. It means that the probiotic cultures are guaranteed to be alive when you ingest the capsule. If the cultures are not alive, the supplement will have no effect on your health.
- Make sure that the supplement has got a high CFU count. Many probiotics will die after you ingest them, only some will survive the journey through your stomach to your intestines. So the higher the CFU count the more effective the supplement can be.
- It’s great if the supplement is using a special technology that helps probiotics survive the journey through your stomach protecting them from stomach acids.
One of the best probiotic supplement with L. acidophilus is Garden of Life Raw Probiotics Ultimate Care. What makes this supplement stand out?
- It’s got 100 billion CFU count, that’s really high compared to other supplements. Most of them offer 20 to 50 billion, you can even find probiotic supplements with a 5 billion CFU count!
- They’ve got Arrive Alive Guarantee, which means that the probiotic cultures are shelf stable and they’ll be alive when they arrive. (Make sure you always keep your probiotic supplement in the fridge!)
- Apart from L. acidophilus, this supplement contains 34 other probiotic strains including L. rhamnosus and L. fermentum, especially useful for treating and preventing yeast infections.
How to Use L. acidophilus for Vaginal Yeast Infection?
L. acidophilus can be very useful in treating and preventing vaginal yeast infections (as well as BV and UTI). You can take it orally or vaginally.
The first option includes probiotic supplements and probiotic-rich foods, such as homemade yogurt. The best probiotic supplements for women contain, apart from L. acidophilus, other probiotic strains that are effective in vaginal yeast infection treatment. These strains are, for example, L. reuteri, L. rhamnosus, and L. fermentum. Check my review of my favorite probiotic supplement for women here.
The second option is to use probiotics vaginally. Studies show that probiotic suppositories used together with antifungal suppositories (such as Monistat) make the treatment more effective. Also, using probiotic suppositories can help prevent yeast infections, so it’s advisable to use it, for example, after swimming in a swimming pool. To find the best probiotic suppositories, be sure to check my review of the best probiotic suppositories for vaginal health.
Lactobacillus acidophilus is an effective probiotic strain against Candida. Numerous studies show that it can reduce the number of Candida cells in your body. It means that this strain can help you prevent vaginal yeast infections, oral yeast infections and improving your digestive health.
Apart from its antifungal action, it offers an array of other health benefits. So using a probiotic supplement with this strain will not only help you fight Candida but also support your overall health.
Remember that probiotics work best when mixed with different strains. Be sure to choose a probiotic supplement with a selection of probiotic strains for best results.
Have you ever used probiotics to fight Candida? what’s your favorite probiotic supplement? Please share your experiences and questions in the comment section below.