Propolis – a natural remedy for Candida
Propolis – a natural remedy for Candida
Propolis is a resin that bees produce from the sap of different evergreens. They mix it with their discharges and beeswax to strengthen their hives and embalm their dead invaders.
Propolis has been used for centuries as an antiseptic, and it offers many other health benefits. Interestingly, the benefits vary depending on the locations and plants that bees visited.
Researchers found that the health-boosting properties of propolis come from its compounds called flavonoids. Propolis is rich in minerals, B-vitamins, and antibiotics and increases the body’s natural immunity.
- Read More: Is Beeswax Antifungal?
What are the health benefits of propolis?
- it’s antibacterial
- heals genital herpes
- boosts the immune system
- it’s anti-inflammatory
- helps wounds heal faster
- it’s antiviral
- heals cold sores
- used for cancer of the nose and throat
- it’s antifungal
There is a number of studies that focus on antifungal qualities of propolis and they offer some very promising results. Let’s have a look:
- A 2013 study shows that propolis based carbopol gel (a polymer used in lotions, creams, bath and hair gels) is as effective against vaginal yeast infection as clotrimazole cream.
- In a study from 2001 propolis showed a potent antifungal effect in the following Candida species in order of sensitivity: C. albicans > C. tropicalis > C. krusei > C. guilliermondii
- In a more recent study from 2014, propolis extract proved very effective against drug-resistant Candida albicans isolated from patients with vaginal candidiasis
- A study carried out in Spain in 2009 shows that propolis inhibits the development and growth of Candida albicans. The results were obtained using low concentrations of propolis which shows that its antifungal ingredients are very potent.
Hopefully, this evidence will help develop new Candida medication in the near future.
So How to Make the Most of Propolis?
If you want to treat a vaginal yeast infection with propolis, I found vaginal suppositories that you can buy online, you can read my full review here.
If you want to take advantage of immunity-boosting properties of propolis, to help keep Candida at bay, try Propolis Extract Ultimate Strength:
- It’s a mixture of 400 mg propolis extract and raw honey
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of Propolis Extract Ultimate Strength twice a day between meals.
- Propolis Extract Ultimate Strength will not only help you fight Candida overgrowth but also boost your defenses against harmful viruses and bacteria.
- It may be rock solid when you get it. Leave it for a while in a bowl with warm water and it will get softer.
- Apart from eating it, you can also use it on your skin, it will disinfect and heal your wounds and blisters faster
How safe is propolis?
It’s considered safe to use propolis when taken orally or applied to the skin. However, it’s worth noting that it may cause allergic reactions, so you should avoid it if you are allergic to bees or bee products.
Also, lozenges and suppositories with propolis can irritate the mucosa and in rare cases produce ulcers. It’s best to consult your doctor before starting to use propolis, especially if you have allergies or asthma.
If you’re looking for a natural health supplement that will help you treat and prevent yeast infections and will offer a number of other health benefits, propolis is a great choice. It’s easily available, economical and you can use it in different ways: mixed with royal jelly, in soft gels, suppositories, sprays, and drops.
The only counterindication is an allergy to bee products, apart from that it’s a healthy supplement rich in vitamins and other nutrients with well-documented effectiveness against Candida.
For more information, you can also check my article about the best natural supplements for yeast infection.
If you’re interested in natural remedies for Candida, you may also read my article about natural remedies for yeast infection.
I want to hear about your experiences. Have you ever used propolis for Candida or any other health problems? Did it help?