Which Monistat Works Best For Yeast Infection?
In this article, I’ll tell you which Monistat works best for vaginal yeast infection, how to use Monistat for best results and what precautions you should take during your treatment. You’ll also find out what to do if your Monistat treatment fails and how to test for yeast infection from home.
What is Monistat?
Monistat contains Miconazole, an antifungal compound that has been scientifically shown to kill Candida cells. Candida is the type of yeast that occurs naturally in your body. When your vaginal flora is out of balance, Candida cells can start proliferating out of control causing unpleasant symptoms called a yeast infection.
Monistat will help you kill the Candida cells that have caused your infection and you should experience a great relief within 48 hours from starting your treatment.
Read More: Is Monistat Good For Yeast Infection?
Each Monistat comes in the form of LESS MESS ovule, soothing creams or traditional suppositories. Each option is available in three versions:
- COMPLETE THERAPY: Includes the cure, external itch relief cream and Cool Wipes
- CURE AND ITCH RELIEF: Comes with the cure and external itch relief cream.
- SIMPLE CURE: Contains only the cure.
You can choose from three different types of Monistat with different concentrations of Miconazole and duration of treatment:
It’s got only one 1200mg dose of Miconazole for one-day treatment. Designed for busy women who need fast results. Monistat 1 can be used during the day because the ovule adheres to vaginal walls and it won’t leak out.
So it seems really convenient because you don’t have to wait until bedtime to start your treatment.
Unfortunately, overall, many women are not happy with Monistat 1. It seems that the concentration of Miconazole is so high, it’s more likely than Monistat 3 and 7 to produce an allergic reaction with intense burning and itching.
However, Monistat has come up with a solution for women who still prefer a one-day treatment: Monistat 1 Simple Therapy. Instead of miconazole, it contains tioconazole, an antifungal agent which is as effective as miconazole.
Also, as Monistat 1 is a one-day treatment, in many cases it may not be enough to treat the infection completely and you’re more likely to experience a recurrence within weeks.
Ingredients: Miconazole Nitrate 1200 mg, Gelatin, Glycerin, Lecithin, Mineral Oil, Titanium Dioxide, White Petrolatum
- It’s very convenient if you need a fast relief
- You can use it during the day
- One day treatment may not be enough to cure a yeast infection completely
- You’re most likely to suffer another yeast infection within weeks from finishing your treatment
- The risk of suffering an allergic reaction is higher because the concentration of Miconazole is higher than that of Monistat 3 and 7. If you still want a one-day treatment, go for Monistat 1 Simple therapy instead, it contains tioconazole instead of miconazole.
It contains three 200mg doses of Miconazole to be used for three consecutive days. It’s a less concentrated treatment, but as it’s extended to 3 days your chances of suffering a recurrent yeast infection is lower.
You’re also less likely to get an allergic reaction with Monistat 3 and your chances of successfully treating your yeast infection increase.
Ingredients: Miconazole nitrate 4% (200 mg in each applicator), benzoic acid, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 60, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water, stearyl alcohol
- According to reviews, about 50% of women recovered completely from their yeast infection after they finished treatment and they didn’t suffer any side effects
- The treatment may still be too short to cure a more stubborn yeast infection
Read More: Does Monistat 3 Ovule Work?
Monistat 7 treatment consists of seven 100mg doses and the treatment takes 7 days.
Research shows that 7-day yeast infection treatments are the most effective because it’s less likely for any harmful Candida cells to survive and cause another infection within weeks from finishing your treatment.
Ingredients: Miconazole nitrate 2% (100 mg in each applicatorful), benzoic acid, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 60, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water, stearyl alcohol.
- According to reviews, Monistat 7 has got the highest success rate of 55%
- The treatment takes 7 days, which may be inconvenient in some cases especially that you have to precautions during your treatment, such as abstaining from sexual intercourse.
So Which Monistat is Best?
Based on countless reviews I studies as well as medical recommendations for vaginal yeast infection treatment, Monistat 7 is the best option.
A seven-day treatment makes it much less likely for a news yeast infection to develop within a few weeks and the cure rate is higher than that of Monistat 1 and 3.
One big disadvantage of Monistat is that many women complain from extreme itching and burning during their treatment. It’s because some may be sensitive to miconazole and suffer a mild allergic reaction.
If it happens to you, I recommend switching to a different treatment that’s less likely to give you any side effects.
Read More: Is Monistat Over The Counter?
Is There Anything Else I Need to Know About Using Monistat?
There are a few other things to consider before you start your Monistat treatment:
You have to take the following precautions when using Monistat:
- Don’t use tampons, douches, spermicides or other vaginal products when using Monistat
- Condoms and diaphragms may get damaged by Monistat compounds, so they won’t protect you against unwanted pregnancy or an STD.
- Abstain from vaginal intercourse
Monistat Side Effects:
Some women report the following side effects during their Monistat treatment:
- increased vaginal burning
- abdominal cramping
You should seek medical help if you experience:
- severe vaginal burning, itching, and swelling that doesn’t go away
- abdominal pain, headache, hives, skin rash
Monistat and Pregnancy:
If you’ve got a yeast infection during your pregnancy you need to contact your healthcare provider to help you pick the safest and most effective treatment.
Miconazole treatment (such as Monistat) is only recommended during pregnancy when there are no other alternative treatments available.
Monistat and Period:
Many women get yeast infections before, during or just after their period. The good news is that you can safely use Monistat during your period, but you should not use tampons or menstrual cups as they can remove parts of the suppository from your vagina when you change them, making Monistat less effective.
Also, some people claim that menstrual blood can dilute the drug making it less effective. However, Monistat manufacturer assures that Monistat treatment during your period is as effective as any other time of the month.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Monistat?
The manufacturer recommends storing Monistat at 20º-25º C (68º-77ºF) . If you notice that your Monistat box is damaged or open discard it immediately. If the seal over tube opening or on the box is punctured or broken, don’t use it either.
How Do I Know For Sure if it’s a Yeast Infection and not Something Else?
Vaginal yeast infection symptoms can sometimes be confused with bacterial vaginosis (BV) or more serious infections, such as sexually transmitted diseases.
These infections require a completely different treatment and they can pose a serious health risk if left untreated. That’s why it’s crucial to get tested for yeast infection before you start your treatment.
There are two ways can do it:
- Get seen by a doctor to get your vaginal discharge swabs taken. The doctor will then look at them under the microscope or send them to the laboratory for more accurate results.
- Order a yeast test kit online and send your swabs to the laboratory.
Online STD and yeast infection testing is becoming more and more popular these days because of its convenience. It allows you to order the test you need online and take your swabs from the comfort of your home.
Once you’re ready, you have to send the swabs back to the laboratory in a prepaid envelope and wait a few days for your results.
With MyLabBox it usually takes from 3 to 5 days and you’ll get your results via email. If you test positive, you’ll get a free medical consultation to help you choose the best treatment.
MyLabBox offers a wide variety of vaginal tests. The most popular is V-Box which tests for yeast infection, BV and the most common STDs: Trichomoniasis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia.
Are There Any Natural Alternatives to Monistat?
My favorite natural product for yeast infection is boric acid. Many studies show that it’s a very effective and safe alternative to conventional treatments even if you’ve got a chronic yeast infection that just won’t go away.
You can buy boric acid suppositories online from Amazon or make your own. For DIY boric acid suppositories, you’ll need boric acid and seven size 0 empty gelatin capsules.
Fill each of them with 600mg of boric acid and insert one suppository into your vagina for seven consecutive days.
The seven-day treatment with boric acid should be enough to get rid of a yeast infection for good, in fact, you’ll experience a great relief within 48 hours from starting your treatment.
If you suffer from chronic yeast infections, you can keep inserting one suppository a week for up to six months to boost your vaginal health and prevent a recurrence.
How About Home Remedies for Yeast Infection?
If you prefer to use a home remedy for yeast infection, some of the most powerful home treatments are coconut oil suppositories. In order to make them, you’ll need:
- 5 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Suppository tray
- 10 drops of tea tree oil or lavender oil (or 5 drops of each)
Mix the ingredients in a bowl, pour the mixture onto the suppository tray (or an ice cube tray with narrow openings) and place it in the fridge. You can use it as soon as it becomes solid.
Insert one suppository before bedtime for seven consecutive days and make sure you use a pantyliner, as once it melts, it can leak out.
This treatment can be very effective especially if you start it before your yeast infection before it’s full-blown.
For more DIY suppositories recipes check my article: How to Make Coconut Oil Suppositories for Yeast Infection?
What Can I do to Prevent Yeast Infections?
With a few lifestyle changes, you can significantly cut your risk of developing a vaginal yeast infection. Start with these five tips:
- Avoid using scented soaps, bubble baths, and feminine washes. Try to use unscented intimate washes with only natural ingredients or use only water to clean the external part of your vagina.
- Avoid swimming pools that use harsh chemicals to sanitize water. Try to find a UV-sanitized or ozone sanitized pool in your area. Read more about how swimming pools can cause yeast infections here.
- Wear only cotton underwear and loose-fitting bottoms to improve air circulation and keep your vaginal area dry. Candida, the fungus responsible for yeast infections, likes warm and moist environment. So ditch synthetic and tight garments today and boost your vaginal health.
- Some foods and drinks may affect your immune system and your bacterial balance, making you more prone to yeast infections. Try to cut your caffeine and alcohol intake.
- Remember that antibiotics can cause yeast infections. It’s because they kill the friendly bacteria in your body making space for the harmful yeast to start proliferating and start an infection. Only take antibiotics when absolutely necessary and make sure you take probiotics during and after your treatment to help prevent a yeast infection. Check my review of the best probiotic supplements for women to learn more.
If you’re wondering which Monistat works best for yeast infection, I’d recommend Monistat 7. Studies show that a seven-day treatment is the most effective and helps you avoid suffering from recurrent yeast infection.
As it’s got a low concentration of Miconazole, it’s less likely to cause vaginal burning and itching.
Also, according to reviews, Monistat 7 scores best and the majority of women who use it are happy with the results.
What is really impressive about Monistat, is that it’s available in 27 different variations depending on the form of the cure you choose (less mess ovule, traditional ovule, cream), the strength and duration of treatment and what you want you treatment to include (you can buy Monistat with external itch cream and Cool Wipes for a faster relief).
Read More: Monistat 1 vs. Monistat 3 vs. Monistat 7
Have you ever used Monistat? Which Monistat did you choose? Tell us about your experiences in the comment section below.