Essential oils that kill Candida
Essential oils are extracted from leaves, stems, bark, and flowers by distillation, often by using steam. They have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. You may have read about fantastic antifungal qualities of tea tree oil and lavender oil, but there are much more essential oils that kill Candida.
I have come up with a list of essential oils that have been shown to have potent antifungal qualities in recent studies making them excellent natural remedies for a yeast infection:
- Oregano essential oil – Both Oregano and Mexican oregano essential oils show high levels of antifungal activity against the fluconazole-susceptible Candida glabrata. In one experiment, researchers compared clotrimazole (a common antifungal drug) with essential oil. they found out that oregano essential oil caused more damage to Candida cells and membranes than clotrimazole!
- Lemon Grass essential oil – antifungal effect against Candida albicans. The research found that the main component of lemongrass oil, called citral, inhibits the ability of Candida cells to invade mucosal tissues and it could be successfully used to develop new treatments for vaginal and oral yeast infections.
- Cinnamon essential oil – potent antifungal activity against the fluconazole-resistant Candida glabrata. A 2016 study looked at how cinnamon essential oil could be used to treat Candidemia, a Candida blood infection. They found that it’s effective against 50% of Candida isolates and it’s got 55% effectiveness against fluconazole-resistant Candida krusei strains, so it can be used against Candida albicans and non-albicans strains immune to other treatments.
- Angelica major essential oil – active against Candida albicans. As it’s got low toxicity, it could be used in combination with other antifungal drugs especially in the treatment of oral, vaginal and skin yeast infection.
- Thyme essential oil – apart from being active against Candida albicans, it’s been shown to have microbial effect against Candida albicans, Aspegilus niger, Rhodotorula rubra, Escherichia coli, Shigella spp., Bacillus spp. and Streptococci. Further research is needed to establish which compounds of thyme essential oil have got a fungicidal effect in order to develop effective alternative treatments for Candida infections.
- Clary Sage essential Oil – studies show that this essential oil has the ability to destroy Candida albicans cell membranes thanks to two of its components called linalool and linalyl acetate.
- Patchouli essential oil – this essential oil has been shown to be effective against Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei. It may be especially useful in treating Candida intestinal infections, along with cinnamon essential oil.
- Peppermint essential oil – in one experiment, 100% of Candida cells died after being exposed to peppermint essential oil. Its use may be considered in yeast infections caused by fluconazole-resistant strains, but further research needs to be done.
- Vismia Macrophylla Kunth essential oil – active against Candida albicans and Candida krusei
How Exactly can These Oils be Used to Treat Yeast Infections?
All these essential oils require further clinical trials to confirm their pharmaceutical effectiveness and to find their potential toxic effects. Also, more research has to be done to find out the right concentration of essential oils to achieve maximum healing effects.
Studying antifungal properties of essential oils helps scientists come up with new combinations of antifungal agents to fight drug-resistant Candida strains and to avoid side effects associated with the currently used antifungal drugs.
Essential oils will help provide clinically safe and more efficient antifungal agents to those suffering from Candida infection.
Other essential oils, such as thyme, sage, rosemary, basil, and ginger have shown no anti-fungal activity so far, however it may change in the future, as in recent years the anti-fungal properties of essential oils have been the main focus of researchers looking to find the most effective and safe drugs for yeast infections.
How to use essential oils to kill Candida?
When using essential oils, remember that they should never be used undiluted on the skin. Before applying, they should be diluted with some sort of carrier oil, such as coconut oil.
However, there are certain essential oils that are safe undiluted, this includes lavender and tea tree essential oils.
To treat a yeast infection or keep Candida at bay, you could try to add a few drops of your favorite antifungal essential oil to your bath or your intimate wash, or mix a few drops with coconut oil and spread it on the affected skin.
If you’re suffering from a vaginal yeast infection, you could also insert a coconut and essential oil concoction into your vagina overnight and see if it helps. There are also tea tree oil suppositories you can buy online, the recommended treatment lasts 6 days.
Are Essential Oils Safe?
Many essential oils are considered toxic, the antifungal oils with the highest toxicity levels are a lavender essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, thyme essential oil and tea tree oil. For these reasons you should never ingest essential oils and they should be kept out of children’s reach.
When you use them, always blend them with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or olive oil as they may be irritating, or even cause burns on your skin if applied on their own.
While more research is needed to start using antifungal essential oils in antifungal medication, the results of scientific studies are very promising.
They offer a new opportunity to create more natural, chemical-free medications that will help treat Candida strains resistant to common antifungal drugs.
The good thing is, we can already use some of these essential oils as a home remedy for a vaginal yeast infection without risking any side effects. However, make sure that you consult your doctor before trying to use essential oils to treat a yeast infection.
For more information about how essential oils kill Candida, check this video:
Have you ever tried using any of these essential oils to treat a vaginal yeast infection? Did it help? Please share your questions and comments in the comment section below.