10 essential oils that kill Candida
10 essential oils that kill Candida
Essential oils are extracted from leaves, stems, bark and flowers by distillation, often by using steam. They have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. You may have read about fantastic antifungal qualities of tea tree oil and lavender oil, but there are much more essential oils that kill Candida. I have come up with a list of essential oils that have been shown to have potent antifungal qualities in recent studies making them excellent natural remedies for a yeast infection:
- Oregano essential oil – Both Oregano and Mexican oregano essential oils show high levels of antifungal activity against the fluconazole-susceptible Candida glabrata
- Lemon Grass essential oil – antifungal effect against Candida albicans
- Cinnamon essential oil – potent antifungal activity against the fluconazole-resistant Candida glabrata
- Coriander essential oil – active against Candida albicans
- Ethiopian Thymus shimperi essential oil – active against Candida albicans
- Vismia Macrophylla Kunth essential oil – active against Candida albicans
- Ajowan/Ajwain (Trachiyspirum ammi) essential oil – Both Ajwain and Black Cumin leaf oils showed anti-Candida activity against Candida albicans
- Pelargonium roseum essential oil (Rose Geranium) – active against Candida albicans
- Angelica major essential oil – active against Candida albicans
All these essential oils require further clinical trials to confirm their pharmaceutical effectiveness and to find their potential toxic effects. Also, more research has to be done to find out the right concentration of essential oils to achieve maximum healing effects.
Studying antifungal properties of essential oils helps scientists come up with new combinations of antifungal agents to fight drug-resistant Candida strains and to avoid side effects associated with the currently used antifungal drugs. Essential oils will help provide clinically safe and more efficient antifungal agents to those suffering from Candida infection.
Other essential oils, such as thyme, sage, rosemary, basil and ginger have showed no anti-fungal activity so far, however it may change in the future, as in recent years the anti-fungal properties of essential oils have been the main focus of researchers looking to find the most effective and safe drugs for yeast infections.
How to use essential oils to kill Candida?
When using essential oils, remember that they should never be used undiluted on the skin. Before applying, they should be diluted with some sort of a carrier oil, such as coconut oil. However, there are certain essential oils that are safe undiluted, this includes lavender and tea tree essential oils.
To treat a yeast infection or keep Candida at bay, you could try to add a few drops of your favorite antifungal essential oil to your bath or your intimate wash, or mix a few drops with coconut oil and spread it on the affected skin. If you’re suffering from a vaginal yeast infection, you could also insert a coconut and essential oil concoction into your vagina overnight and see if it helps. There are also tea tree suppositories which you can buy online, the recommended treatment lasts 6 days.
While more research is needed to start using antifungal essential oils in antifungal medication, the results of scientific studies are very promising. They offer a new opportunity to create more natural, chemical free medication that will help treat Candida strains resistant to common antifungal drugs.
The good thing is, we can already use some of these essential oils as a home remedy for vaginal yeast infection without risking any side effects. However, make sure that you consult your doctor before trying to use essential oils to treat a yeast infection. For more information about how essential oils kill Candida, check this video:
Have you ever tried using any of these essential oils to treat a vaginal yeast infection? Did it help? Please share your questions and comments in the comment section below.