Does Aloe Vera Cure Yeast Infection?
Does Aloe Vera Cure Yeast Infection?
Aloe vera has been known for it’s antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties for centuries. It’s commonly used to sooth sunburnt skin, disinfect cuts, and even as a delicate laxative, helping you to get rid of toxins. Aloe Vera is rich in amino acids, vitamins, enzymes, minerals and antioxidants.
In recent years more evidence for its antifungal qualities has emerged. Turns out, aloe vera is an effective natural remedy for a yeast infection because it can inhibit growth of Candida cells. Have a look at the research:
- A 2011 study shows that Aloe vera gel inhibits Candida cells growth by at least 90% and could be used to create new antifungal treatments.
- According to a 2010 study from India, the antifungal qualities of Aloe vera leaf gel may be thanks a protein it contains, known as 14 kDa. The protein shows potent anti-fungal activity against Candida albicans (the most common species that cause vaginal yeast infections), Candida paraprilosis and Candida krusei. The results are promising and show that Aloe vera could be successfully used in natural, plant based antifungal treatments.
There are many other studies that came with the same conclusions, but I won’t be discussing them here. I didn’t find any studies that focus specifically on vaginal yeast infections, but the fact that Aloe vera has got strong antifungal qualities is welcome news.
How to use Aloe Vera for Vaginal Yeast Infection?
As a preventative measure, you can drink Aloe vera juice or take Aloe vera capsules to fortify your immune system and maintain healthy intestines to keep Candida at bay.
Many women suffering from a vaginal yeast infection spread Aloe vera gel around the vulva to relieve the itching, some make Aloe vera gel suppositories and insert them overnight. If you want to use Aloe vera this way, first of all you’ll need a good quality Aloe vera gel. When buying Aloe vera gel, make sure it meets the following criteria:
- The ingredients should be limited to Aloe, distilled water, and a natural preservative, such as tocopherol.
- Avoid products with such ingredients as lidocaine, alcohol, or chemical preservatives.
So what’s the best aloe vera gel?
There is a great selection of Aloe vera gels on the market. Many of them have got beautiful packaging that makes you want to apply them on your skin straight away. But after a lot of research I realized that 99% of Aloe gels that claim to be 100% pure, contain chemical additives, that can be potentially toxic.
After extensive research, I managed to find two products that contain only natural ingredients and no chemicals. They are supposed to be refrigerated, which makes me believe they’ve definitely got no preservatives. Buy Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe Vera 4 oz Gel or check my full review here.
How to make Aloe vera vaginal suppositories?
- You’ll need an ice cube tray, the smaller and rounder the ice cubes, the easier it will be to insert them!
- In a bowl, mix 1 ounce of aloe gel with 8 ounces of coconut oil
- Pour the mixture onto the tray and leave it in the fridge
- Once solid, use one suppository overnight. If the symptoms don’t clear within 3 days, make sure you go to see your doctor.
- Don’t forget to use a pad!
Is Aloe vera safe?
Aloe vera is generally safe, but you should avoid it if you’ve got a garlic or onion allergy. If you use it for a long time it can cause allergic skin reactions. Also, steer clear from Aloe vera if you suffer from diabetes, because it can lower blood sugar levels. Because of its blood thinning properties, you should avoid it if you suffer from blood disorders, heart disease or take blood thinning drugs.
If you’re not sure whether Aloe vera is safe for you, ask your doctor. Generally, in healthy people it shouldn’t cause any side effects apart from an occasional allergic reaction.
Aloe vera is packed with health boosting elements and its antifungal qualities make it a perfect home remedy for a yeast infection. If you’d like to learn about other natural remedies for vaginal yeast infection, check my articles about:
If you decide to use it to treat your vaginal yeast infection naturally, contact your doctor first.
I’d love to know if you’ve ever used Aloe vera to fight a yeast infection. Did it help? Please share your comments and questions in the comment section below.